Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Late to the party?

I've been thinking about this topic for a while, but never gotten to posting it. Recently, however, Rolling Stone published their version of it, so I thought I might as well get mine out in the open as well.

The topic: Greatest "pop/rock" singers of the post-war period.

The caveat: The "topic" is intentionally vague, so just go with it.

In no particular order:

Roy Orbison: "Operatic" is the only word that could really do his voice justice. Hearing it live was spellbinding. How anyone could make pain so beautiful is beyond me...

Sam Cooke: Beyond smooth. I thought Jackie Wilson had a great voice until I heard Sam Cooke. There's a reason a boxed set of his music is called "The Man Who Invented Soul."

Frank Sinatra: Phrasing. The songs were no better than any recorded by other "crooners," and his voice probably wasn't any better than anyone else's. Once he sung a song, he owned it.

Johnny Cash: If I'm wrong, and there is a God, I suspect that when you pass through the Pearly Gates a man will turn around, offer you his hand, and say, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash."

Bjork: I'd guess that from a technical standpoint, her voice probably isn't good at all. That being said, there's something elemental and prehistoric that I just find completely captivating.

Sinead O'Connor: Range. Both vocal and emotional. I'm not sure there's any kind of music she couldn't conquer if she chose to.

Annie Lennox: Not really a fan of her work, but she can flat out "belt" and I could listen to her speaking voice (love that Aberdonian accent!) for hours.