Friday, November 28, 2008

The Big Race!

(pictures to follow)

So, yesterday- Thanksgiving Morning- was the culmination of almost two months of training for me.

I ran in a 5K race and here are the important numbers:
  • I completed the race in 28:35, more than a minute and a half better than my best training time. I was especially happy with my time because the course starts with a very long, very steep hill and I was worried that it would take so much out of me that the rest of the race would be a wasted effort. It was not.
  • I finished in 160th place in a field of 480 runners. Putting me exactly in the top third of the field, which had been my goal leading up to the race.
  • I finished 20th of the 39 runners in my age group- basically, in the middle of the pack. This was kind of a bonus, I was not expecting to do so well in my peer group.
For the moment I'm going to keep running every other day (if possible) at least for the next month when I start playing indoor soccer again. At that point I may do both as much as my schedule permits. Whatever the case, so far, so good!