Saturday, December 06, 2008

I'm conflicted

A while back I bemoaned the fact that the music of many of the groups and individuals I most admire (The Clash, The Jam, The Ramones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc.) was showing up in television advertisements for, well, products and companies which with they shouldn't be associated. That's my opinion, of course.

Jump forward to this evening as I'm preparing my dinner.

I find myself humming along to Bob Mould's "See A Little Light" until I realize it's coming from the television! It was being used as the background music in a commercial for TIAA-CREF.

And here's the conflict: While I don't like the idea of Bob's music showing up in a commercial, it happens to be a commercial for the company that handles my retirement fund (as well as those of thousands of other educators and researchers)!

I'm just not sure what to think about this.