Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Christmas Betting Line

Last year I started a tradition of "handicapping" the gifts I requested on my Christmas list. I got about half of them right. Which basically means that I could have skipped all of the "analysis" and just based each of my predictions on a coin flip. This year I hope to do better. Remember, "success" is not getting all of these items, it's being right about whether I receive them or not. Let's begin!


OXO® Silicone Oven Mitt with Magnet

1/1 or 2/1: I will get an oven mitt (hence the first set of odds), I am less confident that I will get the exact one I requested.

Microwaveable covered dish

3/2: I will be shocked, shocked, if I do not receive this gift.

iPod “Shuffle” (2G)

100/1: Not a chance.

GPS for my car

500/1: Even less of a chance than the iPod.

Age of Empires “Asian Dynasties Expansion Pack”

50/1: Slim chance.

FIFA '09 for PlayStation 3

10/1: Much easier to find than the previous game. If I do get this, my brother will be responsible for it, whether giving it directly, or getting it so my Mom can give it to me.

Hoover SS220 Flair bagless, upright stick vacuum with power nozzle

2/1: Much like the humidifier I asked for last year, this one is pretty much a lock- practical, reasonably priced, and I actually want it. That being said, it doesn't cost any more than the iPod, which I'd rather have!

Victorinox (not “Wenger”) Swiss Army Knives: A “Mini-Champ” and any one of the following: Nomad, Mountaineer, Trailmaster, Picknicker, Hunter, Outrider, or Rucksack.

3/1 or 10/1: I will probably get one of these knives, and I'm pretty certain it will be the "Mini-Champ."

Fleece duvet/comforter cover- flannel would be my 2nd choice

4/1 or 10/1: I will get a duvet cover...but probably not a fleece one. Maybe not even a flannel one. I probably should include a third set of odds, but I'm not going to.

George Foreman Next Grilleration 4-Burger Grill w/ Removable Plates

20/1: If I'm wrong about any gift on this list, it will probably be this one. It might be too practical for my family to pass on.

A wood/glass case for the flag that covered my grandfather's casket


1/1: This one is almost unfair. Not expensive and super sentimental. I almost feel bad for putting any odds on it at all.

Small iPod compatible clock/radio

50/1: Even though I specifically suggested two different models, I will likely get neither.


Alright, I'll be back after the holidays for a recap!