Thursday, July 24, 2008

Guess what I found!?

Today, while going about my errands I found myself faced with a construction related detour and as a result, I was sent down some roads over which I had never traveled.

And what did I encounter?

A K-Mart!

Once I got over the initial shock- I could have sworn the company had gone out of business a decade ago- I was further stunned to see that the K-Mart in question had an in-store diner! Suddenly, I was transported back to the rural NH of my youth, and I found myself thinking the same thing I had two decades ago, "People actually eat here!?"

According to the sign, in 2008, meals still start at $3.29! The cheapskate in me was sorely tempted to investigate, but my desire for a Thanksgiving Sub from DiAngelo's won out in the end.

All this being said, however, the K-Mart diner had nothing on the diner at J.J. Newberry's ("the store that wouldn't die") in downtown Laconia, NH.

Ah, memories.