Thursday, March 27, 2008

Stop Seven: Ayr

In the almost two weeks since I was in Ayr I am no closer to having a handle on it than I was when I was there. On the one hand, it has an incredibly rich history dating all the way back to the 14th century. On the other hand, there's a little too much of a Jersey Shore/Lake George/Weirs Beach vibe to it. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, so, for now, I'm going to reserve judgment on it.

The highlight of my trip to Ayr was going to Somerset Park to see Ayr United face off against my team, Ross County F.C.- I was especially excited for this math because the Ross County home match I had intended to attend a week earlier had been postponed due to a water-logged pitch. The match was made even better because Ross County won 2-0, preserving my impress "no loss" streak (see the new post on this subject for details).

I also spent one afternoon in air watching Dundee United choke away the C.I.S. Insurance Cun Final to Celtic not once, not twice, but three different tiems- ARGHHH!

Also in Ayr I had genuinely spicy food for the first time in half dozen visits to the U.K. I think, thankfully, we here in the States have a better developed palate where hot food is concerned, so I was genuinely shocked when the "spicy baguette" I ordered at a deli was actually spicy, and even moreso when the hot chili sauce I got on my my noodles at...a noodle shop, were not just spicy, but downright hot!

Oh, and a tip to future visitors to Ayr, the town shuts down at 5:30 most days, and on Sunday you better be happy with SPAR and a few chippies if you're looking to get some dinner!

No comments: