Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stop One: Glasgow/Bellshill

I'm going to condense my trip into "stops" rather than "days" so that I can be a little more compact in my posts.

Let's start with the flight, Bradley to Amsterdam. This was the best long-distance flight I've ever taken. Why, because there were so few people on it that anyone who wanted one, could have their own row! I took full advantage of mine and slept more than I ever have before on a trans-Atlantic flight.

I stayed in Glasgow's West End. I like this area because it is relatively quiet, near some major museums, and home to one of the city's universities. This time my B & B (which was "fine") was within walking distance of Firhill Park, home of Partick Thistle, so I went to check that out. Later, I went to see a movie so that I wouldn't sleep all afternoon. That night, while getting dinner, I saw the following spray-painted on a wall, "Resistance is the secret to joy." I wonder what the Latin is for "In vandalism there is truth?"

The next morning- before heading off to Aberdeen- I took the bus out to Bellshill, birthplace of my late grandmother. I'm not sure why I never did this on previous trips to Scotland...maybe because this is the first time I've gone since she died and because I was alone. Anyway, the picture is of 4 Hamilton Road, the house where she was born.

Tomorrow: Aberdeen

No comments: