Saturday, March 29, 2008

Stop Eight: Glasgow and Home

My final day in Scotland was in Glasgow where I did only one thing of substance and that was to go out to Hampden Park and visit the Scottish Football Museum/Hall of Fame. I've seen several matches at Hampden in the past, but never had enough time to see the museum. It was pretty good. I think my only criticism is that it lacks focus. Specifically, it goes in a great many directions but doesn't fully explore any of them. Nevertheless, it was worth the trip and I bought a nice souvenir in the gift shop.

The highlight of my return to Glasgow, however, was returning to my B & B to find that my kilt had arrived! I can't wait to wear it for the first time- hopefully to a local Highland Games or Scottish Festival this summer.

It was an early night as my flight left for Amsterdam at 6:00am, which meant hopping into a cab at 4:00am in order to make sure I was at the airport and through security on time.

The flight was fine, but being marooned in Schilpol Airport for five hours was not what I needed at the end of a two week trip. Schilpol might be the only place I've ever been that's more expensive than Iceland.

The flight home seemed to last forever, but that might just be because there were lots of crabby small children who had no interest in being quiet for even a few seconds. There was also plenty of turbulence and the worst airline food I've had in a long time. In many ways, it was the opposite of the flight over.

All in all, however, it was a great trip, a much needed vacation, and I can't wait to go back for visit number five!

No comments: