Friday, December 31, 2010

2010: A Partial Reading List

As usual this list probably isn't "complete," but I'm sure it's fairly close. This year I've put my favorite books in red and added a few words about them.

  • The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
For some reason I read a great a bunch of books set in Spain (Barcelona in most cases) this year and they were good for the most part. This one was far and away the best - it was a book about books- how could it not be good?!
  • The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  • Cathedral of the Sea: A Novel by Ildefonso Falcones
  • The Moving Target by Ross MacDonald
  • Money Shot by Christa Faust
  • A Touch of Death by Charles Williams
  • The Gutter and the Grave by Ed McBain
  • Little Girl Lost by Richard Aleas
  • Songs of Innocence by Richard Aleas
I don't know what my expectations where when I started the first of these two books, but I was really impressed by the end of it- great writing and a central character who was really compelling. I was pleasantly surprised when the second book featured the same character.
  • The Last Match by David Dodge
  • The Girl Hunters by Mickey Spillane
  • The Snake by Mickey Spillane
  • The Twisted Thing by Mickey Spillane
  • Some Danger Involved: A Novel by Will Thomas
A historical detective novel set in 19th century London and written by somebody whose a huge Sherlock Holmes fan? Yes, please! The writing is not on the level of David Liss or Caleb Carr, but the storytelling is engaging enough that I've already ordered three of his other books (see below).
  • 2666 by Roberto Bolano
I have two things to say about this book. First, I'm proud of myself for getting through it. Like some of Italo Calvino and Umberto Eco's books it was hard work. Rewarding, but hard work. Second, when a book-snobby acquaintance (certainly not a "friend") recommended it to me in her normal high-handed manner I was able to smile and say, overly politely, "Thanks, but I've already read it."
  • Heyday by Kurt Andersen
There's very little, book-wise, that's more rewarding than taking a flier on a $5.00 discounted book at Barnes & Noble and having it turn out to be a great read- which this was. Sadly, it appears that he's only written one other similar novel.
  • The Valley of Fear by Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Art of Noir by Eddie Muller
  • A Touch of Death by Charles Williams
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties by Johnny Porkpie
  • Somebody Owes Me Money by Donald E. Westlake
  • Memory by Donald E. Westlake
A truly compelling read with an ending that was absolutely uncompromising. I was almost mad at the author for the ending, but once I calmed down I realized it really couldn't have ended any other way.
  • 361 by Donald E. Westlake
  • Nobody's Angel by Jack Clark
  • Murder is My Business by Brett Halliday
  • Baby Moll by John Farris
  • Fifty-to-One by Charles Ardai
  • Black Angel by Cornell Woolrich
  • Top of the Heap by Erle Stanley Gardner
  • Fade to Blonde by Max Phillips
  • No House Limit by Steve Fisher
  • Kill Now, Pay Later by Robert Terrall
  • Slide by Ken Bruen and Jason Starr
  • The Girl with the Long Green Heart by Lawrence Block
  • Lucky at Cards by Lawrence Block
  • Branded Woman by Wade Miller
  • Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook by Anthony Bourdain
I liked it. My brother in-law (the chef) liked it. And he likes the Stooges and the Ramones. 'nuff said.

I'm actively reading...

  • To Kingdom Come by Will Thomas
  • Meet Me at the Morgue by Ross MacDonald

I'm still pecking away at...

  • Europe by Norman Davies
  • The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco

No comments: