Thursday, September 24, 2009

Is this a good thing...or a bad one?

My electric shaver broke the other day. Nothing dramatic, I just needed to purchase a new piece and replace the broken one. It's only about two years old, but otherwise, it's in fine shape and works very well.

This being the 21st century, I went online and searched for the part. I found it quickly and it was only slightly more pricey than I would have liked it to be- about $22.00 to fix a shaver that retails for about $80.00 (I got on sale for around $55.00). Not to bad, I guess.

However, among the results of my search were many other complete shavers, so I poked around a bit... and ended up buying a brand new shaver. It's a brand I've owned in the past, has all of the same features as my current one, and was on sale for $3.00 more than the replacement part I was planning on buying.

I'm conflicted by this. Repaired, my old shaver would have been perfectly fine- it did not need to be replaced. And yet, for $3.00 I now have a brand new shaver that will likely last me that much longer than the old one because, well, it's new.

So, this is a good thing, right?

No comments: