Saturday, September 13, 2008

Something I wish I had said

Do you ever feel so much rage toward something that you're unable to articulate it and aim it in the direction of your target? I know I do. Luckily I stumbled upon somebody who was able to get past/set aside theirs and offer a calm, cool, and collected take on what I haven't been able to spit out. I give you Elise Thompson, an editor for the LA blog LAist who has summed up my thoughts on the current "hipster culture":

"People who came of age in the 70s and 80s punk rock movement seem to universally hate 'hipsters'", which she defines as people wearing "expensive 'alternative' fashion[s]", going to the "latest, coolest, hippest bar...[and] listen[ing] to the latest, coolest, hippest band." Thompson argues that hipsters "... don’t seem to subscribe to any particular philosophy... [or] ...particular genre of music." Instead, she argues that they are "soldiers of fortune of style" who take up whatever is popular and in style, "appropriat[ing] the style[s]" of past countercultural movements such as punk, while "discard[ing] everything that the style stood for."

Yeah, that's it.

What she said.