Thursday, June 12, 2008

Boston


Too often I make a point of mentioning it when I have a bad day.

In the interest of fairness, I thought I'd make a point of mentioning that yesterday I had a great day.

I drove into Boston, taking the "long way" so that I could pass by (not in order of importance), my favorite sub shop, the house were my grandparents used to live, the cemetery where they are both buried, and end up at Wonderland Station on the Blue Line. It's not the fastest or the easiest way to get into the city but each of those places hold a lot of happy memories for me so when I get the chance...

I arrived a little earlier than I expected to, so I headed down to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market for some lunch and some people watching. After that I made my way over to the Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill Federal Building for a meeting. I can't speak for any other federal buildings, but the security screening was, to put it mildly, thorough. I even had to show that my pockets were empty because the metal detector was set off by the snaps on my pockets!

The meeting went well, but was much shorter than I expected it would leaving me almost the entire afternoon to spend in Boston before heading over to Fenway for the Red Sox game against the Orioles.

I spent the afternoon lazily working my way from Causeway Street to Fenway Park via Boston Common. On the Common I enjoyed a cherry slush, more people watching, and reading a book on a park bench.

After that I wandered around, had a chocolate shake, checked out some of the shops along Newbury Street, and eventually arrived at Fenway just as the pregame festivities were beginning. I did a little wandering around, got myself a sausage and pepper sub, bought myself two Carl Yastrzemski related souveniers, and listened to a surprisingly good little band that was playing on the sidewalk.

The game was excellent (I hadn't been to Fenway for probably ten years, though I'd been lucky enough to see the Red Sox win at Yankee Stadium a few years ago) the Red Sox won, my seats, though cheap and kind of far away, were good, and I didn't have to sit next to anyone obnoxious. They even played a Jam and a Sugar song over the stadium PA!

It took a long time to get back to the T and then to my car, but I was expecting that, so it wasn't too bad.

All in all, a great way to spend the day!