Monday, January 28, 2008

Famous?

So, what the heck, here are the "famous" people I've "met." Some of them won't mean anything to you until I explain them, some won't mean anything even after I explain them!

Direct-

Robert Vaughn, star of "The Man from Uncle" and the "Helsinki Formula" infomercials: Talked to him on the phone.

Peter Jennings, late anchor of ABC News: Talked to him on the phone.

Chevy Chase, actor...you know, FLETCH!: Met him when his daughter toured a school at which I was teaching.

Bill Murray, actor...so, you know, he's got that going for him: Met him when he came to watch his son play football for the rivals of a school at which I taught.

Ally McCoist, member Scottish National Team: One of only two professional athletes I've asked for an autograph.

Bode Miller, Olympic/World Cup skier: I knocked him on his ass during a men's league soccer game about 8 or 9 years ago. I might not have done so if I'd known that's who it was beforehand!

Egon Zimmerman, Olympic/World Cup skier: Was my ski school instructor when I was about ten.

Al Barr, lead singer of the Dropkick Murphys: Of course, when I knew him, his name was still "Alex." We went to high school together for a couple of years, his dad was my German teacher during my freshman year.

Chris Sheridan, director, producer, writer, etc. for "The Family Guy": All this is based on what my mom has told me, but if it's true (there's definitely a "Chris Sheridan" in the credits), Chris and I overlapped for a couple of years in high school, worked on the school newspaper together, and his mom is still (I think!) the school nurse.

Indirect-

Mo Vaughn, professional baseball player: I coached his niece for one season, and she was the team manager for two more after that.

George Soros, international "financier": I taught one of his sons for a year.

And, for what it's worth, I regularly see Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth, and J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. around town.

Anyway...

I could probably list a hundred soccer players (male and female) that I've worked clinics and camps with over the years, but that would take forever, so I'll just leave this list as is until I remember somebody that I've left off!

No comments: