Sunday, October 07, 2007

Update: Has it come to this?

My disillusionment continues as the Clash's version of "Pressure Drop" has recently shown up as the background music in a Nissan commercial.

(insert cursing)

It all started a decade or more ago when the Beatles "Revolution" was used in a Nike television commercial...

Then Ramones' songs started showing up in the background of commercials.

Then Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" became the backing track for a series of cruise ship commercials.

Then songs by the Clash were in for the same treatment.

Then a Johnny Cash song showed up in ads for a motel chain.

Then only a month or so ago I noticed a song by the Jam in a Cadillac commercial.

And then there was today...

The Pogues "Sunny Side of the Street" in a Cadillac commercial.

Leading me to the following conclusions:

1. I'm old.
2. Of all of these artists, many are dead (Johnny Cash, half the Ramones, one quarter of the Clash) and their estates are cashing in.
3. I'm old.
4. The other half are broken up (the Jam) or reunited (Pogues, Stooges)- sort of.
5. I'm old.
6. My generation (more specifically, the punk subculture part of my generation) has enough money to buy- ick.- Cadillacs.
7. I'm old.

Whatever the dynamics behind any of this, I am, in a word, disheartened.

No comments: