Monday, January 18, 2010

An Update

One of my loyal followers has asked for a brief update on my family, so here it is!

  • Mom: Hanging in there and holding everything together as usual. She could probably retire any time she wanted to, but for reasons that are well-understood, "work" is has been her refuge for quite a while and I don't think she's ready to let go of it- even if it means being retired.
  • Dad: More often than not, he's doing well. And by "well," I mean that thanks to some changes in his treatment, we've been able to turn back the clock a bit. The situation is still extremely difficult for me to deal with. But, I've been really clear about what I can and cannot "handle" and everyone has been great about it.
  • Brother: Well, he's been a dad for almost two years now and he couldn't be a better one. Not that I ever had any doubt about that, but his daughter is a very, very lucky little girl.
  • Sister: She and her husband continue to try to get their house the way they want it- that process will never end, but with each improvement, it looks even better. The restaurant and all its associated businesses (two cruise boats, catering, etc.) are doing well, especially considering the economy.
  • "Down Under" things are busy- babies being born, houses being purchased, etc. I think my sister is going there next summer for a visit.
In other news...
  • For practical and financial reasons, Camp is now jointly owned by "the kids." Basically, if Dad can live at home for another five years, it can never be seized as an asset to help pay for his care. A permanent foundation is in the near future and there is some talk of putting in at least enough electricity to make it easier for Dad to be there. A new dock, and what form it will take, is under discussion.
  • I drove by Gram's house on the way into Boston last fall and it was really odd to think of somebody else living there after 50 (60?) years, seeing their stuff on the porch and in the yard, etc.. Nicky's, on the other hand, is still the same and still DELICIOUS!
As for me: I'm here. More good days than bad- far more good ones if I'm honest about it. Work is fine, keeping the soccer website running is a lot of work but worth every minute of it, other than wishing I had somebody special to share all of this with, I can't complain.

I really hope this didn't sound like one of those typed out and photocopied "Year End" letters people send to their friends- I hate those!

Questions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was perfect...just like you!
Thanks. xxooxxoo