Thursday, September 27, 2007

Musical Ponderings

A former co-worker and I used to pass the time (and at the job in question we had a lot of free time!) by engaging in lengthy debates on the subject of popular music. Sometimes it was making "best" and "worst" lists, sometimes comparing concert-going stories from our past, etc.

So today, as I was listening to Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer singing a duet of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song," I thought about some other artists I would love/would have loved to see work together, and in some cases, the song I would have loved to hear them sing. Some of these- I think- are musical "homeruns" and others, perhaps, just ideas...

  • Johnny Cash and Shane MacGowan singing "The Long Black Veil"
  • Sam Cooke and Sinead O'Connor singing "Frankie and Johnny"
    • Granted, this one would take some reworking, but I think the interplay would be great and I'd love to hear Sinead sing soul music.
  • Billy Bragg and Woody Guthrie singing "All You Fascists"
    • Yes, the Mermaid Avenue albums sort of addressed this pairing, but not quite the way I would have wanted to have it happen if I controlled time and space.
  • The Proclaimers and the Everyly Brothers singing "All I Have To Do Is Dream"
  • Joan Jett and the Donnas singing "Bad Reputation"
  • Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan singing "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)"
    • Although, I think my head might explode.
Any others I missed?

No comments: